We have all seen the harmful effects plastic bottles can have on both the environment and our health. You probably have felt the difference when drinking water from a plastic bottle compared to drinking water from a glass bottle, too.
And have you ever questioned why the really high quality still bottled water or alcohol comes in glass bottles? We will come to that in a bit.
But the more we become aware of the harm water bottles can do, the more we will start to look for something better. Something that will improve the quality of our life and health. Something that will not harm the animals and the environment.
Enter the glass water bottles.
Glass is king when it comes to water bottles. Glass is arguably one of the best food-grade materials, and it has multiple benefits and advantages. Well, it also has some disadvantages, so let’s take a look.
The Best Glass Water Bottles
- Purifyou Premium Glass Water Bottle (click to check the current price on Amazon) – A quality glass bottle that is super durable, chemical-free, and easy to carry.
- Veegoal Glass Water Bottle with Bamboo Lid (click to check the current price on Amazon) – High-quality, chemical-free glass water bottle.
- Otis Classic Glass Water Bottles Delux Set (click to check the current price on Amazon) – A set of six quality and durable glass water bottles! Best budget-friendly option!
- ORIGIN Glass Water Bottle With Silicone Sleeve (click to check the current price on Amazon) – A high-quality glass water bottle that will have your water fresh and pure in taste.
Last update on 2021-03-31 at 14:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What I love about these glass water bottles
1. Purifyou Premium Glass Water Bottle
- Improved and Convenient: Our bottles are now with Time and Volume Markings to help you measure your water intake. Perfect for every scenario - like...
- Non-Toxic and Ecofriendly: BPA-Free, recyclable, reusable, and doesn't leach harmful chemicals or unwanted flavors into your water.
- Stylish and Safe: Our bottles come with an aesthetic colored food-grade high impact resistance silicone sleeve that's perfect for your style! From...
Last update on 2021-06-23 at 19:41 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This water bottle form Purifyou is not just BPA-free but has also been tested for phthalates, PVC, lead, and cadmium. This ensures that this bottle is free of any harmful chemicals that may normally leach into our drinks with other bottles.
You can expect a water bottle like this one to keep the taste of your water or beverages unaltered and fresh. Some metal bottles are known to leave a metallic taste to the drinks inside, but this will not happen with a glass water bottle.
The type of glass used is high borosilicate that is super durable and also heat resistant. From Purifyou have also added a food-grade silicone holder which adds more durability to the bottle and also provides extra grip.
The glass is thick and durable, but after all, it is glass, and it can be broken. So it should be handled with care.
The ring on the lid is making it easy for carrying around.
It has a wide mouth so you can easily add ice cubes to your water or fruits. However, it is not too wide, so it is easy to sip while you are on the go without having to worry about any spills.
This glass water bottle is suitable for almost any situation. It can be used outside while traveling, trekking, or camping. It is also a great bottle to bring yourself to the office or anywhere else, really.
This bottle is dishwasher safe which is something a lot of you will like since this makes cleaning it a breeze.
2. Veegoal Glass Water Bottle with Bamboo Lid
- PREMIUM QUALITY AND ECO-FRIENDLY DESIGN: - VEEGOAL glass water bottle is made from 100% durable borosilicate glass which is BPA, BPS, PVC, Lead, and...
- REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE WITH BONUS ACCESSORIES: - Our top-quality clear water bottles come with a protective silicone sleeve, bamboo lid, and an extra...
- LEAKPROOF AND DISHWASHER SAFE WATER BOTTLES: - Our water bottle is 100% recyclable, and it does not leach any harmful chemicals or unwanted flavors...
Last update on 2021-07-15 at 18:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is another water bottle that has been tested for chemicals: it is BPA, cadmium, lead, and phthalate-free.
The glass used for its manufacturing is high borosilicate which is extra tough. It can withstand temperatures from -20 to 150 C.
On the outside, the lid is made of bamboo, but it has plastic on the inside. The lid has a silicone seal inside which gives it excellent insulation and protection against leaks.
It also comes with a nice rubber sleeve that offers good protection against unexpected falls and has a very good texture and feel to it. The rubber provides for an extra grip. However, please, keep in mind that even with the extra toughness of borosilicate, it can still be broken if dropped from a certain height.
The bottle has a wide mouth which is a great feature as it is making it super easy to clean. The manufacturer also stated that the bottle is dishwasher safe when washed with the rubber sleeve on it (the bamboo lid needs to be hand-washed, though).
3. Otis Classic Water Bottles Deluxe Set
- STORE ANYTHING: Ideal for hot or cold drinks, still or carbonated, leftover storage.
- HEAVY DUTY GLASS: Made from 3mm thick high quality white glass. Strong, crystal clear and attractive
- AIR TIGHT AND LEAK PROOF: Slow oxidation, keep your beverages fresher for longer.
Last update on 2021-06-16 at 12:03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A few months ago, I was looking for a really high-quality and budget-friendly set of glass water bottles. And I stumbled upon this outstanding set of bottles.
First, stating the obvious, this is a set of six glass water bottles, and each one of these comes with its own neoprene sleeve, which adds some extra protection, some extra insulation for the hot and cold drinks, and it has a carrying strap which is quite useful.
The cap fits tightly; it is leak-proof, and I’ve never had to worry about the bottle leaking in my backpack.
The combination of the quality glass and the airtight lid will keep your water or beverages fresh for longer.
The glass is tested for chemicals, and it is BPA and lead-free. That way, you can be sure the glass is safe and will not leach any harmful chemicals into your drinks and beverages. This makes the bottles odorless, and they will not alter the taste of your drink in any way.
The bottles are made of thick and very durable glass, and they are perfectly suitable for both hot and cold drinks, sodas, and so much more.
Although they are perfectly suitable for any situation and I have even taken them on a few trips to the mountain with me, they are after all made of glass and can be easily broken. Make sure you take good care of them.
I would consider this glass water bottle to be the cheap, budget-friendly alternative to the other bottles on the list simply because you get six bottles at a very decent price tag. And let me tell you, they do NOT look or feel cheap!
You can easily share them with your friends and family, or why not keep them all for yourself? It is all up to you!
However, keep in mind that these bottles are NOT recommended to be washed in a dishwasher.
4. ORIGIN Glass Water Bottle
- SAFE: Our widemouth glass bottles are BPA, BPS, PVC, Lead and Cadmium free. They won’t leach chemicals similar to plastic, won’t grow bacteria in...
- LID GUARANTEE: We guarantee our lids for 90 days with free cap replacement if it breaks. This bottle has the best mouth size for no-spill drinking and...
- IMPACT-RESISTANT: The food grade silicone sleeve provides maximum impact protection and can generally withstand tips and short falls. Grippy,...
Last update on 2021-03-31 at 14:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Although glass is arguably the best and safest material for storing food and liquids, there have been some existing concerns about certain glass bottles containing harmful chemicals like cadmium and lead.
This is not the case with this water bottle, though!
It is free of BPA, BPS, and PVC. Additionally, it has been tested for, and it is lead and cadmium free as well.
The glass is medical grade borosilicate which is extremely tough and resistant to breaking and can safely be used for storage of hot and cold liquids.
The glass water bottle is covered with a food-grade silicone sleeve. The sleeve has a nice grippy texture. The lid has O-rings that provide extra insulation and protection against leaks. The O-rings are made of stain-resistant food-grade silicone.
You will not have any trouble cleaning this bottle thanks to the wide mouth. A wide mouth bottle is also the way to go if you want to fill it up with ice cubes for some extra refreshing water during the summer months
- Do you prefer glass bottle water? Check out my favorite option here
While the bottle has the sleeve on it can be washed in the dishwasher.
What to Look for in a Glass Water Bottle
Although glass can, potentially, be the best material for a water bottle, there are still some things we need to keep an eye for. Not all glass water bottles are of the same quality.
Glass is a natural material which is BPA-free. However, glass water bottles may contain other chemicals such as lead and cadmium.
- Cadmium is a toxic metal that has been associated with a lot of adverse health effects in humans. Cadmium exposure can cause different cardiovascular, reproductive, respiratory, gastrointestinal, and more health issues.
- Lead is yet another highly toxic metal that can cause a whole plethora of health conditions like kidney, brain, and irreversible damage to the nervous system, and more.
It is advisable to check if the water bottle has been tested for these and other chemicals. The more information there is – the better.
A chemical-free water bottle will not alter the taste of your drinks; it will not leach any harmful chemicals into your water and will keep it fresher and cleaner tasting for longer.
The Type of Glass
There are different ways to manufacture glass, and not all glass has the same qualities.
When looking for a glass water bottle what you want to see is that it is made from borosilicate glass. This is the most durable type of glass which is not only less likely to break, but it can also be used for keeping hot and cold liquids or food.
Of course, one of the downsides of glass is that it is going to be heavier than plastic or even stainless steel water bottles.
The Right Size
Depending on your personal preferences, and where you will be using the bottle, the right size for you may vary a lot.
If you are looking for a way to stay hydrated in the office, even a smaller water bottle may work for you.
However, if you are working outside, or doing a high demanding job where you may sweat a lot and as a result need to drink high amounts of water regularly a bottle with a bigger capacity may be what you really need.
But there is another thing you need to keep in mind.
Here’s the thing, glass is heavy.
Another thing to keep in mind is that while a larger bottle means you can bring more water with you – and stay hydrated for longer – this also means that you need to take into account the extra weight. One of the distinct disadvantages of water bottles is that they are significantly heavier.
If weight is a concern for you, you may want to either get yourself a smaller bottle or settle on for a different type of water bottle.
Protective Bottle Covers
There are two main concerns with glass. It can easily break despite how tough it is, and it transfers heat extremely easy. Pouring in a hot cup of coffee or tea inside will make the whole bottle really hot and uncomfortable to hold with a bare hand. This can even lead to painful burns.
That’s why a glass bottle should always have some kind of a protective cover or a sleeve.
Usually, glass water bottles come with a silicone, plastic, or fabric sleeve that offers additional protection from breaking and are making them safe to carry.
Ease of Cleaning
I would give extra points to any bottle that will allow me to clean it without me having to fuss around with it for several hours.
This is why I personally would gravitate towards bottles with a wider mouth. A wider mouth opening is making the bottle easier to clean with soap water and a brush since not all bottles are suitable to be cleaned in the dishwasher.
One of the toughest areas to clean and the most prone to growing mold and retaining dirt is the lid. Some extra care should always be taken to make sure you keep the lid clean.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Glass Water Bottles
However, here I’d like to point out also the negative sides of glass water bottles so that you can be better informed about what you can expect when getting yourself a glass water bottle.
Pros of Glass Water Bottles:
- Glass, in general, is a lot safer for storing food and liquids. It is by nature BPA-free, which is a hazardous chemical found mostly in plastic bottles and even in some metal water bottles.
- The glass will not alter the taste or odor of the foods and liquids stored in it. Do you remember when I said that the high-quality alcohol comes in glass bottles? This is the reason – because it keeps the true taste of the content inside. A well-known problem with some metal bottles, for example, is that they leach a metallic taste.
- It can last a really long time if handled with care. In fact, the glass may last you even a million years regardless of how many times you refill it!
- Because of the potential longevity of glass water bottles, they can save you a lot of money in the long run.
- Glass doesn’t react with the different foods and liquids; as a result, it will not absorb the color or smell of the substances stored in it.
- Glass water bottles are suitable for both hot and cold beverages .
- Glass is easy to keep clean.
- Glass is recyclable and easier on the environment.
Cons of Glass Water Bottles:
- Even the toughest glass used in the making of glass water bottles can be broken. It tends to shatter in lots of small and very sharp pieces which can be dangerous.
- Some spaces and buildings may have strict regulations when it comes to carrying a glass water bottle. For instance, some gyms don’t allow people to enter and train there with a glass water bottle because of the inherent danger of it breaking.
- Glass water bottles are generally heavier than plastic and even metal water bottles. They can even be twice as heavy in some cases. This can be a real disadvantage for backpackers and people that like to travel light.
- Some glass bottles may still contain other contaminants and chemicals like cadmium and lead.
- If not properly recycled glass takes a lot of time in nature to breakdown. In fact, it is believed that if thrown in the wild glass will never break down. So while it can be considered a green product, it can also hurt our environment a lot.